TEN REASONS FOR SHUTTING DOWN BIG TOBACCO
- Ammonia boosts the impact of nicotine.
- It is estimated that as many as 22% of pregnant women and girls smoke.
- Second hand smoke contains carbon monoxide. Smoking kills more than 9 times as many people per year as automobile accidents.
- On their websites, tobacco companies encourage people to quit smoking. However, in 2006, a court found that tobacco companies manipulate nicotine levels to keep smokers addicted.
- Soups, cereals, make-up, lipstick and other consumable products must list their ingredients on their labels, but cigarettes, a product that kills a third of its users, are not required to list any of the 599 possible additives. (Not Yet! That will hopefully change soon)
- Every 6.5 seconds, someone dies from a tobacco related disease.
- Between 1997 and 2001, smoking attributable health care costs and lost work productivity exceeded $167 billion per year.
- Every day, about 1500 youth become new “daily” smokers.
- According to the New York Times, in 1998, one tobacco executive said, “Nobody knows what you’d turn to if you didn’t smoke. Maybe you’d beat your wife”.
- A tobacco company once gave $125,000 worth of food to a charity, according to an estimate by the Wall Street Journal. They then spent well over $21 million telling people about it. I guess when you sell a deadly and addictive product, you need all the good PR you can get.
Information from “The Sunny Side of Truth” www.truth.org